Monday, March 01, 2010

Violets and Spring


It is spring in Vancouver and now that the Olympics are over it is not treason to say that spring has come. The sweet violets are almost finished producing flowers, and when I checked past garden records, I noticed that the violets are a month ahead of last year and the year before.

I picked a few violets and sugared them, by dipping them in egg white and berry sugar. I did not bother painting them with a paint brush so they are not quite as perfect as they could be. It is amazingly time consuming even just dipping the flowers, and it produces very few sugared violets. But violets are the most delightful flower and the sugar preserves them. Usually I decorate a summer birthday cake with them. They add a little crunch to the soft cake, and it is like reliving the first joy of spring all over again.

No comments: