Sunday, May 08, 2011

Strawberries--One More Time





I have tried growing strawberries for several years, but it never really paid off. Usually, the birds and the slugs ate my strawberries before I did. I tried growing them in straw, I pampered them, but I never managed to fill one tiny bowl.

Finally, I let the strawberry patch get over-run with oregano, which is much more satisfying to grow. It grows much like mint. Try not growing it!

Yesterday, I went to a local fund-raising plant sale. The weather was lousy and the turnout was even lousier. I kept looking around for plants to buy, and found a bunch of potted strawberries. Anyway, I bought about 18 plants for 6 dollars.


This morning, we decided t build a raised bed to grow the berries. We used a ground cover, sawdust, compost and some fine soil. I planted out all the berries. At least the birds and the slugs will have something to munch on.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Thankyou x