Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spring comes to Banff in Small Increments

Although there has been signs that spring will come, it still hasn’t made its presence known. Snow continues to fall and it lays in piles all over the place, but if you look carefully, there are a few small signs of spring.

There is one stretch along Bear Avenue where a large pine nestles against the white faux Tudor façade of a hotel. A tiny ecosystem has been formed by the southern exposure of the hotel, the shelter of the pine, and the white paint that reflects the sun back onto the pine. It is a small space, and I wouldn't have noticed it if it were not for the calls of the birds that live in the pine.

Normally, the only birds you see in Banff in the winter are ravens and magpies. But in this tiny ecosystem there are lively little sparrows cavorting and celebrating spring. This one tree is a very busy hub of activity. Plans are obviously being made, mates are being chosen, and directions are being given. You can hear this tiny little community from quite a distance. Some days, in my hurry, I forget about this spot, but the noise of the sparrows whistling and squawking, always makes me stop and stare at the tree.


The other day, I was watching all of the usual activity when I noticed tiny little flies and insects flying around the tree. This is the first insect life I have seen since I arrived. I was amazed that here, in town, mostly made by man, but accidentally made by man, rests this tiny ecosystem. So fragile and, yet, so alive.

No comments: