Sunday, November 07, 2010

Hops



We just harvested the hops. We have a patch of golden hops growing against the back fence line. It takes some doing to cut a path through the blackberries to get to the hops, but well worth the effort. I usually incorporate hops into my French bread recipe. I like to make a hops tea and then use the warm hop infused water to proof the yeast. I ran out of hops in the spring so I have been experimenting with other teas but so far, hops are the best!

There used to be lots of hops fields in this area. They would grow hops on tall trellises that stood 12 feet high (so I am told). It became too expensive to keep up the trellises and farming hops is not as common around here. But I still like to imagine fields of giant trellises stretching up to the sky.

No comments: