Monday, October 25, 2010

The Birds



I am amazed by the number and variety of birds that have been flying around the farm these last few days. I guess it is the combination of the harvest attracting some birds, and the birds that are flying south are coming through now too. When I look up, the sky is filled with birds. They fly in silhouette against the sun, and it looks a little like black writing across the blue sky. The birds fly at different heights, and I try to read their flight. What kind of birds are they? Are they traveling alone or in a group? Are they migrants or local? So far, I have seen white geese, Canadian geese, crows, harriers, falcons, eagles, herons, snipes, and all sorts of ducks.

I imagine, this life-filled sky is a little bit like what it must have been like, before we settled here and displaced them.

No comments: