Saturday, January 17, 2009

How Far Spring?

At the Farm:

This morning I saw the short woodpecker. He was walking upside down along the bottom of the bird feeder, stealing sunflower seeds and flying off with them.

I can see the garden now. Everything has been killed by the frost and snow. I dug out the last of the beets and celery and threw them in the berm for he pheasant to eat. I am itching to start my new garden, but so far, only the snowdrops are coming up. On some clumps, I can see the small white buds forming.

I went for a walk today. The snow has melted. It has been foggy for the last couple of days and I could only see a few feet ahead on me. Every now and then a bird would emerge out of the fog and then disappear again. All I could see was a black silhouette and then it was gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beginning in mist, ending in frost,
springs and autumns passed swiftly by,
and hope was like the bloom on the grass - Toson